New Navigator Contest
Now that the national sales meeting for Abbott (NYSE:ABT) is over and we’re quickly approaching the end of February, the latest deadline for Navigator is approaching. Some may recall that during their last earnings call the company stated the Navigator would be approved before the end of the first quarter. With just 44 days until the end of the quarter Diabetic Investor has decided to run another Navigator contest.
1. 1. Do you believe Navigator will be approved by the end of the first quarter? Yes No
2. 2. The company will miss another stated dated for approval. True False
3. 3. To save face the company will find another company to file an intellectual property lawsuit against.
4. 4. The Navigator will get approval before the end of the first quarter. True False
5. 5. After approval the company will announce they’ve decided not to launch the product in its present configuration and will launch an updated version later in the year. True False
Perhaps a better question to ask is whether there is any chance for Navigator commercially. Diabetic Investor sees Abbott Diabetes Care at the crossroads. Their conventional glucose monitoring business continues to lose share, they lack a coherent strategy to regain share and the Navigator, even if approved, will do little to help. Using history as guide Abbott would try to buy their way out of their problems. Given the current landscape in blood glucose monitoring their choices are limited, there is no Therasense to save the day. The company could go after Home Diagnostics (NASDAQ: HDIX) or privately held AgaMatrix but after seeing what they did to Therasense why would either company want to be acquired by a company with a proven history of turning gold into sand.